North Country Hospital
**Statement of Purpose**
Assists in the nursing care and preparation of surgical patients of all ages. Functions as a member of the sterile team in donning gowns and gloves, creating and maintaining a sterile field in cooperation with the Circulating Nurse. Anticipating the surgeons instrument and supplies needs.
**Essential Functions, Responsibilities, and Duties**
* Establishes and maintains interpersonal relationships with patients, visitors, physicians, coworkers, and other hospital personnel, while assuring confidentiality of patient information.
* Assists in obtaining necessary supplies and equipment for assigned cases from preference cards.
* Sets up sterile tables, instruments, and supplies required for specific surgeries.
* Assists in the transportation and transfer of the patient unto the OR table. After surgery help transfer the patient to the stretcher or bed, and as needed to the PACU.
* Assists in the preparation, positioning, and draping of the patient and the operative area.
* Prepares and passes instruments, sutures, sponges, laps, and other supplies needed in the operative procedure.
* Specimens – careful management of specimens including asking source of tissue, pass off tissue to the circulator in a timely manner, gentle handling of tissue, and keeping specimens separate.
* Functions as assigned to second scrub.
* Maintains the sterile field, anticipates the surgeon needs, does counts according to the Policies and Procedures in cooperation with the Circulator.
* After the case to assist with cast applications, and/or dressings.
* After the case remove any sharps from the field, remove instruments for cleaning, and discard disposable drapes and supplies in the proper containers. Soiled linen in the laundry.
* On off-hour cases functions as a Supply Aide in regard to cleaning instruments and stocking.
* Participates in Performance Improvement.
* Perform other assigned or required tasks.
* Attends meetings and in-services.
Physical Demands Manual dexterity in use of instruments and equipment. Good or corrected vision and hearing. Heavy work – occasionally moving up to 50 lbs. at one time, or seeks assistance from others; 10-25 pounds of force frequently. Must push very heavy equipment.
Machinery and Equipment: Various types of clinical equipment and computer system.
Exposure: May be exposed to infectious and contagious diseases. Regularly exposed to the risk of blood borne diseases.
NCH is willing to train the right candidate with no experience for this position. There may be the potential for traveling to a teaching facility to receive the training.
High School diploma
Graduate of OR technician program or equivalency
Candidates must have healthcare certification or a healthcare degree or Valid LPN License